Dungeons & Dragons Online Crafting Basics: The Eldritch DeviceEdit This Entry
|Name||Crafting Basics: The Eldritch Device|
To create items, you need to have a recipe. This recipe is a combination of ingredients that you find during your adventures and quests in the Vale of Twilight. Each recipe produces a different kind of item or effect. The only way to find out what combination of ingredients works is by trial and error. You have to invest time to get the ingredients and to try out several combinations to make a recipe.
Ingredients: Raw and Manufactured
During your early adventures, you will find basic ingredients from quests. A recipe is made up of up to five ingredients (the number of slots in the device), but there are far more ingredients you will find as you farm more chests in the raid. Given the number of ingredients available, you will need an ingredients bag to store those ingredients in. You can buy these bags (small and medium) from the General vendors.
There are two types of ingredients, Raw and Manufactured. Raw ingredients are those you find in chests when you run the five quests in Vale of Twilight area. It is necessary to collect this type of ingredients first in order to use the first Eldritch device in Meridia. Examples of basic ingredients are:
Green Briar Twigs
Lammanian Lily Petals
Manufactured ingredients are those that are created using the combination of raw ingredients. This type of ingredient is then used to complete recipes. Examples of manufactured ingredients are:
Ore of Travail
Filaments of Toil
These ingredients are founding chests and are used as important elements of a recipe. The most common examples are the Shavarath stones found at the end chests of the five quests. They are the Shavarath Stone of Might, Victory, Battle, Foresight, and Strategy. Putting all these stones in the Eldritch Device will create a Signet Stone. This will not only grant you access to the new raid, but it can be used to create the first piece of raid equipment or weapon (more on that later).
Energy Cells: Eberron Energy Cell and Shavarath Energy Cell
To power the Eldritch Device, it is necessary to have Energy Cells. Some recipes will require these energy cells while some recipes have enough magic to power the device or altar. There are different types of Energy Cells and the most basic is the Eberron Energy Cell, which can be purchased from the general vendors. Higher power energy cell which is required at later recipes is called the Shavarath Energy Cell. They can't be purchased, instead you can collect them from chests when you run the raid (The Thirteenth Eclipse). There are three types of Shavarath Energy Cell: Low, Medium, and High.
One interesting feature of this energy cell is that they can be re-charged. The fun part is that you can recharge it by combining an empty cell with any weapons with a value of +6 to +10 (depending on the type of cell). You will find the plus value of the weapon on the upper right corner of the description. So, don't go selling those weapons right away, remember, you they can be used for crafting purposes.
The Eldritch Device interface is straight-forward. You will see five slots where you will drag the ingredients from your inventory. Once the ingredients are in the slots, you just need to click on "Mix Magically" or Forge" button and you will receive a message on what item you have built. If the combination of ingredients is not appropriate, you will receive a message that the items you put in the device are not usable. If that's the case, then you will have to try out a new ingredient or a new combination to create the recipe.
USING THE ELDRITCH DEVICE: STEP BY STEP
1. Collect the raw ingredients. This can be done by running the quests in the Vale of Twilight.
2. Once all raw ingredients (6 of them) are collected, go to the Eldritch Device nearest you. (Note: There are different types of Eldritch Devices, each one available to you as you advance through the raid and other areas. Each device is made to accept different ingredients).
3. Drag the following raw materials into the Eldritch Device:
Slot 1: Locust Hust
Slot 2: Lily Petals
Slot 3: Pebbles
Slot 4: Twig
Slot 5: Eberron Energy Cell
4. Click on "Mix Magically". Wait for a few seconds.
5. The result: Filaments of Toil (note: this is a manufactured ingredient).
6. Good Job! Now, you can try out other combinations. It's trial and error but it's fun :)
To save you some time, here is a list of combinations that give out results:
Note: Requires an Eberron Energy Cell
1. CHIPMUNK FUNK + LOCUST HUSK + GLISTENING PEBBLES + GREEN BRIAR TWIG = ORE OF TRAVAIL
2. BITTERSCRUB FUNGUS + CHIPMUNK FUNK + GLISTENING PEBBLES + GREEN BRIAR TWIG = TAPER, BLUE
3. BITTERSCRUB FUNGUS + LAMMANIAN LILY PETALS + GLISTENING PEBBLES + GREEN BRIAR TWIG = TAPER, GREEN
4. CHIPMUNK FUNK + LAMMANIAN LILY PETALS + GLISTENING PEBBLES + GREEN BRIAR TWIG = TAPER, RED
5. CHIPMUNK FUNK + LOCUST HUSK + LAMMANIAN LILY PETALS + GLISTENING PEBBLES = TAPER, VIOLET
6. BITTERSCRUB FUGUS + LOCUST HUSK + GLISTENING PEBBLES + BRIAR TWIG = TAPER, YELLOW
7. BITTERSCRUB FUNGUS + LOCUST HUSK + LAMMANIAN LILY PETALS + GLISTENING PEBBLES = WONDROUS BALM
8. BITTERSCRUB FUNGUS + LOCUST HUSK +LAMMANIAN LILY PETALS + GREEN BRIAR TWIG = WONDROUS BALM
9. BITTERSCRUB FUNGUS + CHIPMUNK FUNK + LOCUST HUSK + GLISTENING PEBBLES = WONDROUS JEWEL
10. BITTERSCRUB FUNGUS + CHIPMUNK FUNK + LOCUST HUSK + GREEN BRIAR TWIG = WONDROUS JEWEL
11. BITTERSCRUB FUNGUS + CHIPMUNK FUNK + LOCUST HUSK + LAMMANIAN LILY PETALS = WONDROUS OIL
12. CHIPMUNK FUNK + LOCUST HUSK + LAMMANIAN LILY PETALS + GREEN BRIAR TWIG = WONDROUS OIL
13. BITTERSCRUB FUNGUS + CHIPMUNK FUNK + LAMMANIAN LILY PETALS + GLISTENING PEBBLES = WONDROUS SCARAB
14. BITTERSCRUB FUNGUS + CHIPMUNK FUNK + LAMMANIAN LILTY PETALS + GREEN BRIAR TWIG = WONDROUS SCARAB
So, from the 5 raw ingredients, you will be able to create Manufactured Ingredients which can then be used to CREATE WEAPONS AND EQUIPMENT:
Filaments of Toil, Ore of Travail, Taper Blue, Taper Green, Taper Red, Taper Violet, Taper Yellow, Wondrous Balm, Wondrous Oil, Wondrous Scarab.
This guide should help you get started with the basics in DDO crafting. The next guide will guide you through the creation of items and equipment.